Location: Provo, Utah (Salt Lake City Metro Area)
Company Name: Novell
Location (City, State): Provo, Utah (Salt Lake City Metro Area)
Job Description (Duties and Responsibilities):This User Interaction Designer will work with the collaboration engineering teams to design prototypes and user interfaces that drive the user interaction in Novell’s collaboration products. This person will also validate user interfaces and manage usability efforts.
- Lead the creation of new products interfaces from concept to launch as part of a cross-functional user-centered design team.
- Participate in user and design research including: usability studies, ethnographic field research, card sorting, prototype testing, and competitive product analysis.
- Setting product interface direction and requirements based on user research, functional requirements, technology constraints, business goals, and company-wide strategic objectives.
- Creation of innovative user experiences including concept creation, workflow mapping, task modeling, information and navigation architecture, interaction design, and prototyping.
- Understand technical requirements/specifications and translate them into useful and usable user workflows.
- Work with engineering teams to ensure the user interfaces designed are technologically feasible and within project scope.
- Extensive understanding of user-centered design principles, analytical and conceptual design skills, and the ability to evangelize effective product development processes
- Able to develop creative approaches to researching complex user experience problems and can convey ideas in tangible form.
- Must be innovative; demonstrate an ability to think out of the box and beyond what is asked for.
- Produce user-friendly software UI using state-of-the-art development and design tools.
- Work with engineering teams to identify and implement good design principles so the UI clearly presents functionality, information, and value to user.
- Establish common feel that directs programmers in developing clear, efficient, consistent, and scalable software programs.
- Work as a team with user interaction leads, visual designers, and content specialists to implement designs and produce products that meet customer needs, product goals, and schedules.
- 5 – 7 years of experience as a key member of a user experience design team.
- Ability to use industry standard design software (e.g., Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Fireworks and Dreamweaver).
- Solid understanding of best practices for web UI usability and accessibility.
- Working knowledge of current social networking and Web 2.0 technologies
- Working knowledge of strategies for UI structure, navigation, and flow.
- Experience with Linux applications and open-source development practices.
- Working knowledge of Novell products and services.
- Ability to influence, negotiate, and convince others verbally and in writing.
- Prototyping skills with background in interactive technologies such as: Flash, Expressions, HTML, .NET, etc. a strong plus
- Ability to write Java, C++, ASP/JSP
This post was submitted by Robert Merrill.